Every now and then we get the chance to see these cool kids with their neon sunglasses and flannel shirts talking about vintage bicycles and Vice. And many of us think to ourselves that we actually want to be them. I don’t know what, but there definitely is something about their laid-back vibe that knocks us off our feet every time we see them. If you want to join the holy clique of hipsters, you’ve came to the right place. Here are the essential hipster must-haves. Take notes.
1. Skinny jeans
These are number one for a reason. You will never see a hipster without skinny jeans – you may say that’s a cliché, but clichés are called that way because they are true. The skinnier – the better. A great thing about these is that, unlike other signature hipster garments, they are a lot easier to find. You can basically find them everywhere. Also, if you want to really follow the vibe and earn some extra “hipster points”, invest in unconventionally colored jeans such as hot pink, lavender, electric blue or neon green.
2. Flannel shirts (DUH?!)
Do these even need to be mentioned? Sure, many people tend to connect flannel with 90s grunge, but come on, in the 21st century, flannel represents the ultimate essential hipster top. If you are a guy, you should wear it completely buttoned up, and if you are a girl, you should layer it over a white tank top. And if you are wondering how many of these do you need – you can never have enough flannel shirts!
3. Structured facial hair
Another thing male hipsters are known for – a lumberjack beard. It doesn’t matter if your beard is thin and uneven, because there is no signature beard look in hipster world. The length is also optional, but the signature hipster beard is that 6 month beard, because you have a lot more options with it – from casual look to braiding, which is also extremely cool.
4. Unusual accessories
Since the main idea of a hipster style is to be unique, there is no such thing as unusable accessory. I mean this literally. Do you have an old Walkman hidden somewhere in your closet? Congrats – you have a new signature accessory. Or maybe an old fedora? Why not wear it? Your possibilities are endless, from suspenders, over lens-less glasses all the way to the monocle.
5. A tattoo
6. Varsity jackets
It doesn’t matter if you never made the team – this is a garment you simply have to have. After all, you need something “sporty” to wear so you can look 10 times cooler while doing those awesome tricks on your unique custom skateboards or riding their vintage bicycles.
7. Unusual shoes
I almost said Chuck Taylor’s, but since now everyone wears them – they are officially no longer hipster. If you are into trainers opt for Vans or classic Reeboks. On the other hand, you can opt for combat boots, Keds, sandals, ankle boots or granny boots.
8. Pastel hair
In every hipster clique, there are at least two girls with pastel hair. However there are certain things you should know before dying your hair pastel.
- Start slowly – don’t just dye your entire hair right away. It is a damaging and expensive process. Start with just a chunk, to see how that particular color fits your face. Later on, move to highlights and, in the end, go full pastel.
- If you want to achieve the best possible results, you should start off with a bleached base. You can’t expect to get that gorgeous purple color to be noticeable if you are putting it over your bronde or brown hair. So, start bleaching girl!
- Remember that the color on the packaging is not the same as the color you will get, so don’t be disappointed.
- Don’t forget about your haircare routine.
- Know that these hair dyes fade extremely fast.
9. Oversized glasses
It doesn’t matter if you have a 20/20 vision – simply pop the lenses out. Hipster favorites are definitely Ray Ban Wayfarers and Buddy Holly glasses.
The essential cold winter hipster hats. Beanies add a cool and casual finishing touch to any outfit, and there are many ways to wear them.
- If you are going for a classic look, cover your entire forehead and ears.
- If it is extremely cold, roll the cuff of it once to give your ears a warmer wrap.
- If you just want to seem cool and laid back, wear it higher on your head (the Peter Pan style), but make sure that it contrasts your hair color – just to keep things extra dramatic.
That would be it. What do you think about hipster style? Would you try it out?